Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Esmont in Albemarle County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Glebe

 
 
The Glebe Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, April 17, 2010
1. The Glebe Marker
Inscription. In 1762 the vestry of St. Anne's Parish purchased from William Burton 400 acres here for the residence and lands of the rector of the parish, established in 1745. This glebe was so used almost until the dissolution of the old parish. It was sold in 1779 to Joseph Cabell.
 
Location. 37° 47.741′ N, 78° 33.697′ W. Marker is near Esmont, Virginia, in Albemarle County. Marker is on Langhorne Road (County Route 626), on the right. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Esmont VA 22937, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wilson Cary Nicholas (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ballenger Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hatton Ferry (approx. 3.3 miles away); Scottsville Confederate Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Hurricane Camille (approx. 3.6 miles away); a different marker also named Hatton Ferry (approx. 3.7 miles away); Historic Scottsville (approx. 3.7 miles away); Ferries In Virginia/TheHatton Ferry/Heritage (approx. 3.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
The Glebe Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, April 17, 2010
2. The Glebe Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 976 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement