Inscription. The village of Silveyville was first settled by Elijah F. Silvey in 1852. Silvey built a halfway house and stock corral for travelers going from San Francisco or Benicia to Sacramento. A post office was established in 1854, along with stores, a telegraph office, a church and school building. In 1856 there were 150 residents in the village.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 17, 2010
|1. Village of Silveyville Marker|
When the California Pacific Railroad was completed in 1868, all residents moved bag and baggage to that area which is now known as the City of Dixon. The Methodist Church was moved from Silveyville to Dixon where it is still being used as a house of worship.
Marker placed by Dixon District Chamber of Commerce
March 19, 1977
Erected 1977 by Dixon District Chamber of Commerce.
Location. 38° 27.66′ N, 121° 51.507′ W. Marker is near Dixon, California, in Solano County. Marker is at the intersection of Silveyville Road and Schroeder Road, on the left when traveling west on Silveyville Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6100 Silveyville Road, Dixon CA 95620, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Halfway House (a few steps from this marker); Sacramento Valley National Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); J. Robert Chapman Memorial Bridge (approx. 7.2 miles away); Vaca Valley Railroad (approx. 7.2 miles away); Wolfskill Grant (approx. 7.3 miles away); Hotel De Vilbiss (approx. 7.3 miles away); Cradwick Building (approx. 7.3 miles away); Solano House (approx. 7.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dixon.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 17, 2010
|2. Halfway House Marker, Village of Silveyville Marker, and The Stage Stop|
|The Stage Stop, visible behind the markers, is a home that was built on top of the foundations of the halfway house (mentioned on the marker), after that burned down.|
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a stone bench-like monument located beneath some trees on the south side of Silveyville Road, a couple hundred feet east of where Silveyville Road meets up with Schroeder Road.
Also see . . .
1. Silveyville. CAGenWeb's transcription of the history of Silveyville, as told in the 1879 volume The History of Solano County: "Upon the outbreak of the gold fever the most practicable road to the mines from San Francisco passed from Benicia to Sacramento through this settlement. For the accommodation of these travelers, Elijah S. Silvey, in 1852, built a house and stock corral. He at first called his house the “Half-Way House.” In those early days the trail was not very well defined, and the belated traveler was liable to lose his way and wander about the plains all night. To obviate this, Silvey used to hoist a red lantern high in the air every night, so that it might serve as a beacon light to the wanderer, and guide him safely into the haven of Silvey’s hotel. The hardy pioneer, Silvey, came to an untimely death by accidentally falling from a porch." (Submitted on April 20, 2010.)
2. Dixon Hometown History. In 1870, when the Yaca Valley Railroad inaugurated their new line, the citizens of Silveyville knew that in order for the town to grow they would need to move closer to the tracks. The new tracks crossed the land of Thomas Dickson, who would later be in charge of the relocation. In 1871 Peter Timm, a cabinet maker from Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark, moved the buildings on large flat cars with wooden rollers. The Methodist Church is still standing at 209 North Jefferson Street. (Submitted on April 21, 2010.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 920 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 20, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of Methodist Church in Dixon. • Can you help?
|Recommend or Share This Page. |