Near Burgaw in Pender County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1939 by Department of Conservation and Development. (Marker Number D-13.)
Location. 34° 37.067′ N, 77° 55.1′ W. Marker is near Burgaw, North Carolina, in Pender County. Marker is on U.S. 117 south of Murray Town Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. It is at the driveway to the Hopewell Presbyterian Church. Marker is in this post office area: Burgaw NC 28425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Welsh Tract (approx. 4.5 miles away); Our Heroes (approx. 4.7 miles away); Burgaw Station (approx. 4.7 miles away); S. S. Satchwell (approx. 4.7 miles away); Timothy Bloodworth (approx. 4.8 miles away); Stag Park (approx. 5.7 miles away); George Burrington (approx. 5.7 miles away); William S. Ashe (approx. 9.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Burgaw.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry: History of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. “Chartered by the North Carolina General Assembly on December 11, 1789 and beginning instruction in 1795, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (then named simply the University of North Carolina) is the oldest public university in the nation. A political leader in revolutionary America, William Davie led efforts to build legislative and financial support for the university.
“The university opened in a single building, which came to be called Old East. Still in use as a residence hall, it is the oldest building originally constructed for a public university in the United States. Its cornerstone was laid on October 12, 1793, near an abandoned Anglican chapel which led to the naming of the town as Chapel Hill. The spot was chosen due to its geographic centrality in the state. The first student, Hinton James, arrived on foot from Wilmington on February 12, 1795. While a student, James founded the Dialectic Society. A dormitory on the UNC campus is named in his honor. It is currently the farthest dorm from campus and houses primarily freshmen.
“UNC was the first public university to hold classes and to admit graduate students. The College of William & Mary was founded in 1693, though it did not become a public university until 1906, and the University of Georgia was chartered in 1785 but did not start classes until 1801. The University of North Carolina was the only public university to graduate students in the eighteenth century.”
Categories. • Education • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,066 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 1, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 8. submitted on May 2, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of Hopewell Presbyterian Church • Can you help?