Inscription. West of here, on the ridge between the Mattaponi and Rappahannock Rivers, the Rappahannock Indians built a fort to defend themselves from hostile settlers and other Indians during Baconís Rebellion in 1676. An order of the colonial Virginia Council in 1682 granted 4,000 acres to the Rappahannocks “about the town where they dwelt.” In 1683, following increased attacks along the Virginia frontiers by Iroquoian warriors, the General Assembly ordered the Rappahannocks either to find a new home or merge with the Nanzaticos. During January and February 1684, the Rappahannocks and their belongings were transported 35 miles up the Rappahannock River.
By Laura Troy, October 13, 2007
|1. Rappahannock Indian MIgration Marker|
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number N-28.)
Location. 37° 57.568′ N, 76° 54.196′ W. Marker is near Caret, Virginia, in Essex County. Marker is on Historyland Highway (U.S. 17) north of Gwynnfield Road (County Route 703), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tappahannock VA 22560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Gouldborough Plantation (approx. 1.5 miles away); Toppahanock Indian Village (approx. 2.1 miles away); William Moore Tidewater Musician (approx. 2.6 miles away); Historic Tappahannock (approx. 3.2 miles away); Ritchie's Birthplace (approx. 3.2 miles away); Essex County Confederate Monument (approx. 3.2 miles away); Old Rappahannock Courthouse (approx. 3.5 miles away); Fonthill (approx. 6.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Caret.
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,002 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on October 21, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |