By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
|1. "Cheston on Wye" Marker|
Surveyed as “Cheston” 1659 for John and William Coursey containing 800 acres—six generations of Courseys (who adopted the older spelling of DeCourcey) lived here and lie buried here. The original house was burned.
Erected 1939 by State Roads Commission.
Location. 38° 55.934′ N, 76° 7.844′ W. Marker is in Carmichael, Maryland, in Queen Anne's County. Marker is at the intersection of Carmichael Road and Cheston Road, on the right when traveling south on Carmichael Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Queenstown MD 21658, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stagwell (approx. 0.3 miles away); “Wye Plantation” (approx. 1.1 miles away); Wye Island (approx. 1.2 miles away); Governor Robert Wright (approx. 1.8 miles away); Governor William Grason (approx. 2.5 miles away); Historic Points (approx. 2.6 miles away); “Bloomingdale” (approx. 2.7 miles away); "Clover Field" (approx. 2.7 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Carmichael.
Also see . . . DeCoursey Genealogy. Genealogical background on the DeCourseys. (Submitted on November 2, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,372 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on October 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Old photographs of the original house • Can you help?
|Recommend or Share This Page. |