Inscription. Oral tradition links this church to the original County Line Baptist Church of 1851, the earliest recorded attempt of area African American families to create a community of worship. County Line Colored Missionary Baptist Church was founded in 1872 on this site, donated by Will Manley. The Rev. L. M. Rabb was the first pastor. An air conditioned brick building was erected in 1967, replacing two earlier wood structures. Providing such aid as food, medicine, educational scholarships, and spiritual counsel, the church remains a proud focal point for community affairs.
By Amanda Hartley, May 11, 2010
|1. County Line Missionary Baptist Church Marker|
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 32° 22.248′ N, 95° 29.637′ W. Marker is near Edom, Texas, in Van Zandt County. Marker is on County Road 4823 west of County Road 4825. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ben Wheeler TX 75754, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Cherokee Chief Bowles (approx. 2.7 miles away); Wood-Verner Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Cherokee Exodus from Texas (approx. 4.4 miles away); John Crane (approx. 4.5 miles away); Yarborough House (approx. 4.5 miles away); Rock Hill Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away); Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin (approx. 6.6 miles away); Brownsboro Norwegian Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 8.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Edom.
Credits. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 312 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on June 14, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. •
Pictures of the church. • Can you help?
|Recommend or Share This Page. |