Inscription. Built for Hermann Christian Timm and his wife, Augusta (Muenster) Timm, the house was erected in two sections. A frame, Greek Revival-influenced residence was built for the Timm family in 1873. In 1892, a large stick style house was constructed onto the front of the earlier house. August F. Neuman, a contractor from Kiel, built the new plan and carried out the remodeling of the original home. Herman C. Timm arrived in New Holstein in the summer of 1848, and in 1864 married Augusta Muenster. The couple had seven children who lived to adulthood. Mr. Timm was the first president of the village of New Holstein, owned the H. C. Timm Elevator Company, served as president of the State Bank of New Holstein and was president of the New Holstein Mercantile Company. The house remained in the Timm family until 1974, when Herman C. Timm II, the son of H.C. and Augusta Timm gave the house and most of its contents to the New Holstein Historical Society. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996, in recognition of its architecture.
By Keith L, June 6, 2010
|1. H. C. Timm House Marker|
Erected by the City of New Holstein and the New Holstein Historical Society.
Location. 43° 56.992′ N, 88° 5.114′ W. Marker is in New Holstein, Wisconsin, in Calumet County
. Marker is at the intersection of Wisconsin Avenue (State Highway 32/57) and Railroad Street on Wisconsin Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1600 Wisconsin Avenue, New Holstein WI 53061, United States of America.
By Keith L, June 9, 2010
|2. H. C. Timm House and Marker|
|National Register of Historic Places #96000727|
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. New Holstein Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); New Holstein (approx. half a mile away); Civic Park (approx. half a mile away); Gewidmet Unseren Kriegern 1861 - 65. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Kiel Veterans Park (approx. 3.9 miles away); St. Martinís Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Broughton Sheboygan Marsh Park & Wildlife Area (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Marsh Turn (approx. 7.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Holstein.
Also see . . .
1. Herman C. Timm House. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on June 17, 2010.)
2. New Holstein Historical Society. New Holstein Historical Society's Website. (Submitted on June 17, 2010.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 623 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |