Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Washington Park
During the Revolutionary period, this stockade was named Fort Washington in honor of General George Washington. In 1780, the revolutionary government of Georgia granted a charter to lay out a city to be named Washington, the first incorporated city in the country to be named for George Washington, nine years before he became our first president.
The John Nelson Stone is located here, six miles north of the Fortson Place where the granite marker originally was located. Inscribed on the marker are: the year 1775, when John Nelson received a land grant from King George III of England; the year 1792, and the land grant survey.
Erected 1994 by City of Washington, Georgia.
Location. 33° 44.344′ N, 82° 44.303′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is on West Square Street 0 miles west of North Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Fort Washington Park is behind the Wilkes County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Washington GA 30673, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. 1911 Wilkes County Jail (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wilkes County Courthouses (about 400 feet away); Remodeled 1959 (about 400 feet away); Wilkes County (about 500 feet away); The Dissolution of the Confederate Government (about 500 feet away); Bolton Factory (about 500 feet away); Last Cabinet Meeting of the C.S.A. (about 500 feet away); Jefferson Davis (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Washington.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,272 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.