Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Montgomery County Jail
In 1801, the County received funds to build a jail house at the site of the County Office Building on the east side of Maryland Avenue, then known as Perry Street. In 1807, Joseph Scott described "Montgomery Court House, erected by the General Assembly under the name Rockville," saying, "The public buildings are a brick court-house, and jail, without either taste or elegance." This jail burned in 1861 and the two-story stone building pictured was built in 1862. The jailer, Mr. Trail, lived there with his family. The jail capacity was 20 inmates. There was a large yard behind the building where the last hanging in the county occurred on April 15, 1921. This jail was used until the new grey courthouse was built in 1931 with jail cells on the top floor. The old jail was demolished at this time.
Erected 2001 by the City of Rockville Maryland and the Rockville Historic District Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850 marker series.
Location. 39° 4.882′ N, 77° 9.075′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Maryland Avenue and Fleet Street, on the right when traveling north on Maryland Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockville MD 20850, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1803 Plan of Rockville and Boundary Stone (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boundary Stone (about 400 feet away but has been reported missing); Christ Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Christ Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); “Out of Robb’s Window, Montgomery County Courthouse.” (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Rockville.
Also see . . . Montgomery County Sheriff - England & United States History.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,836 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 2, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.