Inscription. The first session of Omaha High School, now Central High School, was held on November 10, 1859, in Nebraska's territorial capitol on Ninth Street between Douglas and Farnam. Following the removal of the territorial government from Omaha, Nebraska's last territorial capitol at Twentieth and Dodge Streets was donated to the city by the state in 1869 for educational use. The old building, declared unsafe, was razed in 1870 and replaced by a red-brick, four-story structure in 1872. The first class of Omaha's first public high school was graduated in 1876.
By Paul Crumlish, July 10, 2010
|1. Central High School Marker|
The new building, housing both the high school and Central grade school, soon was unable to accommodate its growing enrollment, and by 1900 the cornerstone of another building had been laid. Construction encircled the old school, which was dismantled and removed before the final north wing was completed in 1912. A new gymnasium and auditorium were added in 1930.
From this vantage point on the old Capitol Square, Central High School has witnessed many changes in the community, the nation, and the world. Now in its second century, it remains dedicated to high scholarship and the principle that all children deserve equal educational opportunities.
Erected by Central High Committee of '76, Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 220.)
By Paul Crumlish, July 10, 2010
|2. Wide view of the Central High School Marker|
Location. 41° 15.595′ N, 95° 56.645′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is on Dodge Street (U.S. 6) 0.1 miles west of North 20th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 North 20th Street, Omaha NE 68102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Capitol Hill (about 400 feet away, in a direct line); First Mass in Omaha (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Cathedral (approx. ¼ mile away); On The Wings of Angels 9/11 Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); The Right Reverend & Mrs Robert Harper Clarkson (approx. ¼ mile away); Congregation of Israel - 1884 (approx. ¼ mile away); "Among the Valiant" (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Securities Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Omaha.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study the marker shown.
Also see . . .
1. Omaha Central High School History. Central holds the rare honor of being the first high school established in Omaha. It has graduated thousands of students over the years and many generations of some families have walked the halls of Central. (Submitted on July 19, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
2. Central High School National Register Nomination. (Submitted on March 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 572 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |