Inscription. Tyler Junior College was established in 1926 during the formative years of the junior college movement in Texas. This institution began as an extension of the Tyler public school system with school superintendent G.O. Clough serving as its first president.
By Amanda Hartley, May 11, 2010
|1. Tyler Junior College Marker|
World War II stimulated several new programs at the college, but the greatest growth came in the post-war years. In 1945, voters established a new independent junior college district governed by a locally elected ten-member board of trustees. After a successful bond election, noted Tyler architect Shirley Simons designed a campus plan, which included the reuse of several surplus buildings from nearby Camp Fannin and the first new college facility, later named Jenkins Hall. A curriculum expansion accompanied the growth in facilities to offer a broader range of coursework to the students.
Seventy-five years after its establishment, Tyler Junior College encompasses a 78-acre campus with 30 buildings and eight residence halls. The district includes Tyler and surrounding communities, allowing the college's significant impact to extend beyond city boundaries into the East Texas region. The growth and success of Tyler Junior College can be attributed to visionary leadership from the presidents and the boards of trustees, a dedicated faculty and generous citizenry.
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 32° 20.017′ N, 95° 17.059′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker can be reached from South Baxter Avenue north of East Fifth Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1400 E. Fifth Street, Tyler TX 75701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Judge Stockton P. Donley (approx. 2 miles away); Camp Ford - Naval Prisoners (approx. 4.4 miles away); Camp Ford - Prisoners from Louisiana (approx. 4.4 miles away); African Americans at Camp Ford (approx. 4.4 miles away); Camp Ford - Early Days as a Prison Camp (approx. 4.4 miles away); Camp Ford - Establishment of the Camp (approx. 4.4 miles away); Camp Ford Confederate Guards (approx. 4.4 miles away); Cabin of Lt. Col. J.B. Leake (approx. 4.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tyler.
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 502 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on July 25, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |