Inscription. On Nov. 23, 1872, former slaves Calvin Hamilton and Primus Keene purchased 23 acres. They sold plots to other freedmen and formed black community of Briar Hill; it was later named New Zion. Keene sold land for community well, school, and church. Calvin Hamilton's home survives. Descendants of founders still live in New Zion. Presented by Scott County Fiscal Court.
By Matt Carter, November 22, 2009
|1. New Zion Marker|
Erected 1993 by Kentucky Historical Society. (Marker Number 1938.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 10.645′ N, 84° 29.314′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Kentucky, in Scott County. Marker is on State Highway 922 0.2 miles south of Lemmons Mill Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown KY 40324, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Man o' War (approx. 2.6 miles away); Mt. Horeb Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Georgetown Cemetery Confederate Monument (approx. 4.2 miles away); Georgetown Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Georgetown College (approx. 4.2 miles away); Remember the Raisin! (approx. 4.5 miles away); Gen. Basil W. Duke, C.S.A. - Basil W. Duke (1838-1916) (approx. 4.5 miles away); Scott County Courthouse / Goebel Trial Here (approx. 4.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2010, by Matt Carter of Lexington, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 670 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on September 17, 2010, by Matt Carter of Lexington, Kentucky. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |