Inscription. 11.8 miles West near Ironsides, MD. Oldest church in Charles County. Served by thirty rectors through 257 years. Present building erected 1732. Visited by George Washington 1771. Restored by Governor Smallwood 1791.
By Chris Nelson, September 5, 2010
|1. Old Durham Church, Episcopal - 1692 Marker|
Erected 1949 by National Society, Colonial Dames of America, of the District of Columbia.
Location. 38° 31.765′ N, 76° 58.985′ W. Marker is in La Plata, Maryland, in Charles County. Marker is at the intersection of Crain Highway (U.S. 301) and Port Tobacco Road (Maryland Route 6), on the right when traveling south on Crain Highway. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6665 Crain Highway, La Plata MD 20646, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Christ Church Episcopal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Surgeon General Revolutionary Army (approx. half a mile away); La Plata Elementary School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Chandler's Hope (approx. 1.7 miles away); Courthouse at Moore's Lodge (approx. 1.8 miles away); “The Monastery” (approx. 2.3 miles away); St. Columba Masonic Lodge (approx. 2.3 miles away); On to Yorktown (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in La Plata.
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 843 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |