Inscription. Also known as “Little Olney”. Built by Whitson Canby c. 1800. Roger Brooke acquired the property for his daughter Sarah and her husband Dr. Charles Farquhar in 1822. They named the home after the town of Olney, England, the hometown of their favorite poet William Cowpers. When Charles became postmaster he changed the name of the town from Mechanicsville to Olney after his home. The Brooke-Farquhar family owned the home until 1925.
By J. J. Prats, May 20, 2006
|1. Olney House Marker|
Location. 39° 9.131′ N, 77° 3.956′ W. Marker is in Olney, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Olney Sandy Spring Road (Maryland Route 108) east of Georgia Avenue (Maryland Route 97), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in front of the Olney House, visible from its parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3308 Olney Sandy Springs Road, Olney MD 20832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Oakley Cabin (approx. 1.9 miles away); Newlin’s Mill Millstone (approx. 2 miles away); August 26, 1814 (approx. 2 miles away); Brookeville (approx. 2 miles away); Newlin’s Mill (approx. 2 miles away); Brookeville Angel (approx. 2 miles away); Madison House (approx. 2.1 miles away); In This House (approx. 2.1 miles away).
By J. J. Prats
|2. Olney House|
|Marker can be seen to the left of the tree trunk.|
Also see . . . Olney Pictures. On the Sandy Springs Museum site. (Submitted on May 21, 2006.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,892 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 21, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |