HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Spotsylvania in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Education in Spotsylvania County
 
Education in Spotsylvania County Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Kevin W., November 18, 2007
1. Education in Spotsylvania County Marker
 
Inscription. Education was the responsibility of parents and churches until after the Civil War. Wealthier families hired tutors or sent their children to private schools. Poor children often learned a trade and received a basic education as apprentices.

In 1870 Spotsylvania County established a public educaton system of segregated one-room schools. These schools were gradually abandoned for larger buildings that included both elementary and high school education. The former Spotsylvania High School, which stands before you, was a state-of-the-art building when constructed in 1939 for $158,000.

Most African-American children attended one-room schools until the John J. Wright Consolidated School opened in 1952. The school system was integrated in 1968. Since that time, public education has evolved to the present system of separate elementary, middle, and high schools. As of 2002, there are in excess of 20,000 students attending 27 public schools.

(Caption, picture on left): Built in 1914 at Spotsylvania Courthouse, Robert E. Lee High School became the first accredited high school in the County in 1920. The building was destroyed by fire in 1941.

(Caption, picture on right): In 1905, the Spotsylvania Sunday School Union organized with the goal of expanding educational opportunities for African-American
 
Education in Spotsylvania County Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Kevin W., November 18, 2007
2. Education in Spotsylvania County Marker
The former Spotsylvania High School is in the background.
 
children and in 1913 they opened the Snell Training School. This building was destroyed in a fire in 1941.

(Caption, main picture): Students and teachers pose in front of School #1 in 1896.
 
Erected by Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and the County of Spotsylvania.
 
Location. 38° 11.716′ N, 77° 35.225′ W. Marker is in Spotsylvania, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is on Courthouse Road (Route 208), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8722 Courthouse Rd, Spotsylvania VA 22553, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stubbs School (here, next to this marker); The Good Hope Colored School (here, next to this marker); Forever young, (within shouting distance of this marker); Zion Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Booth Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Spotsylvania County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Spotsylvania Courthouse and Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lee’s Headquarters (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Spotsylvania.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 859 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 20, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 198 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.