Inscription. Organized September 5, 1818 in home of Isaac Brown 3 miles west of Elyton. Met in homes and schoolhouse near Old Jonesboro until 1824. First building erected on site now the 14th Street entrance to Cedar Hill cemetery. Canaan Association (now Birmingham Baptist Association) was organized there in 1833. Hosea Holcombe, pioneer preacher and historian was pastor 1822-41. The congregation has worshipped at this present location since 1856.
By Julia Frost, June 26, 2010
|1. Canaan Baptist Church Marker|
|Jefferson County's Oldest Baptist Church|
Erected 1968 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 33° 20.469′ N, 86° 55.522′ W. Marker is in Bessemer, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Morgan Rd, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2543 Morgan Rd,, Bessemer AL 35022, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Brock’s Gap / Historic Gateway To Birmingham (approx. 2.9 miles away); Hosea Holcombe (approx. 3.6 miles away); Sweet Home / Henry W. Sweet (approx. 4.3 miles away); Doughboy Monument (approx. 4.4 miles away); Bright Star / Koikos Restaurant (approx. 4.5 miles away); Ross Bridge (approx. 4.6 miles away); Union Baptist Church And Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); Overseer’s House (approx. 5.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bessemer.
Also see . . . Canaan Baptist Church website. (Submitted on October 31, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Bessemer, Alabama, Jefferson County, Church, Canaan, Baptist
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2010, by Julia Frost of Hoover, Alabama. This page has been viewed 551 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on October 24, 2010, by Julia Frost of Hoover, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |