Inscription. Founded as a private school for elementary students in 1894 by Rev. John Dart at the corner of Bogard and Krake Streets, Charleston Normal and Industrial School was approved to become a public school for "colored" children in 1910 and opened at the 244 President Street site on January 3, 1911. In 1921, the school was renamed J.E. Burke Industrial School and by 1929,
Burke was serving fifth through eleventh graders. In 1954, Burke and Avery merged as Burke High School and became accredited by the Southern Association of College and Secondary Schools; becoming one of the first high schools for African Americans to be accredited in the state.
By Mike Stroud, January 2011
|1. Burke High School Marker|
|Classes and Class Members names on adjacent bricks|
Serving as the "Mother Ship" of all the City of Charleston high schools, Burke graciously received students of Avery, C.A. Brown, Rivers, the High School of Charleston, and Immaculate Conception School, as each closed, leaving Burke High as the only high school on the peninsula. Over the past four generations, Burke High School has graduated thousands of African American students with academic and trade preparation to stand equal and surpass many of the "privileged" children at state and national universities, including Ivy League colleges. Burke also produced many successful entrepreneurs,educators, doctors, lawyers, religious leaders, military leaders, politicians, tradesmen and other contributing
members of our society.
By Mike Stroud, January 2011
|2. Burke High School Marker, back side|
Burke High produced some of the best teachers and administrators who not only taught the academic content requirements, but who took the time to teach students responsibility, manners, accountability, self-control, good behavior; respect for country, self and others. They invested in the whole child.
We, stand tall with the support of our parents, administration, faculty, staff, alumni classes, sister schools, and the Burke High School Foundation in celebrating this 100th year milestone of being an academic institution for African American students.
Hail Dear old Burke School
We'll rally to thy call
And from thy classic halls...
onward we'll go
Mem...'ries will linger on
We'll defend and fight for thee
Thy praise we'll ever sing
All hail to thee
We dedicate this marker as a symbol of what
Burke has instilled in us
a sense of
to be strong, achieving Bulldogs!
Erected 2010 by Burke High School Foundation, Inc.
Location. 32° 47.565′ N, 79° 57.222′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Fishburne Street
, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Located between President Street and Hagood Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29403, United States of America.
By Mike Stroud, January 9, 2011
|3. Burke High School Marker|
|* see nearby marker for additional information|
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Burke High School (here, next to this marker); Septima P. Clark Expressway (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Parsonage / Miss Izard's School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cannon Street Hospital / McClennan Banks Memorial Hospital (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hampton Park Terrace (approx. 0.4 miles away); Calvary Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Jonathan Jasper Wright (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Calvary Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Charleston.
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 352 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 17, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |