Capitol Hill in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
United States Capitol
—East Front —
One of the icons of world architecture, the U.S. Capitol has been the meeting place of Congress since 1800. President George Washington laid the cornerstone on September 18, 1793. While under construction, the the building was damaged by British troops during the War of 1812 and subsequently restored. The Capitol was enlarged and the present cast-iron dome built in the 1850s and 1860s. Further additions included the Olmstead terraces on the west front in the 1880s and the east front extension in the 1950s. The most recent addition is the underground Capitol Visitor Center.
1. Statue of Freedom. The 19 1/2-foot-tall bronze statue, sculpted by Thomas Crawford in Rome and cast by Clark Foundry in the District of Columbia, was placed on its cast-iron pedestal in 1863. The classical figure wears a helmet with an eagle head and feathers and holds a sheathed sword, shield and victory wreath. The statue was restored in 1993.
2. House Pediment. The Apotheosis of Democracy by Paul Weyland Bartlett was installed in 1916. The central group is Peace Protecting Genius. On the left is a group called The Power of Labor: Agriculture, and on the right is a entitled The Power of Labor: Industry.
3. Center Pediment. Genius of America was originally carved in sandstone by Luigi Persico
4. Senate Pediment. The Progress of Civilization by Thomas Crawford was installed in 1863. A figure representing America stands in the center with an eagle by her side. To her left are figures representing America's early days, including a hunter and American Indians. The group on her right, including a soldier, a merchant, a teacher, and a student, represents the march of civilization.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 38° 53.445′ N, 77° 0.379′ W. Marker is in Capitol Hill, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker can be reached from 1st Street, NE, south of Constitution Avenue, NE (U.S. 1 Alt.), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in the Capitol Square East Plaza, on the walkway off 1st Street, north of the entrance to the new, underground, Capitol Visitor Center. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. United States Capitol Grounds (a few steps from this marker); The Old Brick Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); From June to December, 1917 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Sewall-Belmont House & Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Residence of Albert Gallatin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alva Belmont House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fiery Destruction (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cortelyou House (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Capitol Hill.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia entry for Dr. William Thornton, first Achitect of the Capitol.
2. Benjamin Henry Latrobe. Surveyor of Public Buildings and second Architect of the Capitol.
3. Charles Bulfinch, third Architect of the Capitol.
4. Thomas U. Walter, "Architect of the Capitol Extension". ... While he oversaw the construction of new marble wings, the commissioner of public buildings maintained the existing Capitol and the surrounding grounds. Walter also designed a new cast-iron dome, which was authorized in 1855. ...
5. Philip Reid and the Statue of Freedom. In 1857, Thomas Crawford (an American sculptor working in Rome) completed his plaster model for the Statue of Freedom. After his death, Clark Mills (another American sculptor and foundry owner in Bladensburg, Maryland) was hired to cast the model in bronze.
Additional keywords. Philip Reid.
Categories. • African Americans • Government • Notable Buildings • Politics •
Credits. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,465 times since then. Last updated on February 6, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 10, 11, 12. submitted on February 6, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.