Gallaudet in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Peikoﬀ Alumni House
—Gallaudet University —
Fondly known by Gallaudet alumni as “Ole Jim,” this building was the first Gallaudet College gymnasium. Designed by Frederick Withers and built in 1881, it was the nation’s second gymnasium with an indoor swimming pool. Designated as one of the National Historical Landmarks on campus, it was restored in 1982 as the Alumni House with funds raised largely by the Gallaudet alumni and their friends.
This plaque donated by the Class of 1940.
Funds for the renovation of this 1881 gymnasium were initially made possible through the efforts of Dr. David Peikoff, Class of 1929, and his wife, Pauline “Polly” Nathanson Peikoff, Class of 1936, both ardent and long time supporters of Gallaudet University and the Gallaudet University Alumni Association. Dr. Peikoff, well-known as an exceptional fund raiser, a dynamic speaker, and an outstanding leader, is especially noted for his service as chairman of the Gallaudet College Alumni Association Centennial Fund in the early 1960s. As a result of the efforts of Dr. and Mrs. Peikoff, the Centennial Fund created three permanent endowments at Gallaudet – the Laurent Clerc Cultural
In celebration of its Centennial in July 1989, the Gallaudet University Alumni association buried a time capsule in the vicinity of “Ole Jim.” Containing historical documents, photos books, and GUAA memorabilia. The capsule will be opened in 2039.
Erected by Gallaudet Alumni.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 38° 54.423′ N, 76° 59.714′ W. Marker is in Gallaudet, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Lincoln Circle and Tapscott St., on the right when traveling south on Lincoln Circle. Click for map. The Alumni House ("Ole Jim") is adjacent to the Gallaudet University Kellogg Conference Center to its northeast. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 Florida Avenue, NE, Washington DC 20002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Denison House (about 400 feet away, measured Edward Miner Gallaudet (about 400 feet away); Helen Fay House (about 400 feet away); Site of the Rose Cottage (about 500 feet away); Chapel Hall (about 500 feet away); Ballard House (about 500 feet away); Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet (about 600 feet away); Laurent Clerc (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Gallaudet.
Also see . . .
1. "Ole Jim" History and Restoration. (Submitted on February 21, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Gallaudet University Athletics. (Submitted on February 21, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. Dr. David Peikoff. (Submitted on February 22, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
4. Laurent Clerc Cultural Fund. (Submitted on February 22, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Kellogg Conference Center.
Categories. • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings • Sports •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 762 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on January 26, 2017.