Inscription. Dedicated to Muskego’s most illustrious pioneer and first European settler, Luther Parker, who brought his wife Alletta and five children to Muskego by horse and wagon in 1836. Luther Parker was one of several responsible for secession of Waukesha County from Milwaukee County in 1846 and served in the Wisconsin Legislature and the early Waukesha County Board. Mr. and Mrs. Parker were buried in the northwest corner of this cemetery. This cemetery, formerly called Durham Hill, was given to his earliest English neighbors by Levi Guild.
By Paul F, August 10, 2010
|1. Luther Parker Cemetery Marker|
The pioneer settlers of Muskego who settled in the Durham Hill area buried their dead among the native wildflowers and prairie grasses of this site. In order to keep this native prairie hearty and suppress woody plants and invasive species, controlled burns are used on an infrequent basis. This cemetery site is officially recognized as a natural area. Please do not mow or otherwise damage the vegetation in respect for the natural setting in which the settlers buried their loved ones.
Gravestones are most easily observed in late April and May, after the Spring burning.
This cemetery is owned and operated under the City of Muskego, Parks & Recreation Department.
Erected 1966 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 19-01.)
By Paul F, August 10, 2010
|2. Luther Parker Cemetery Marker|
Location. 42° 52.356′ N, 88° 4.34′ W. Marker is in Muskego, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is at the intersection of North Cape Road and West Ryan Road, on the right when traveling south on North Cape Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Muskego WI 53150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Muskego (approx. 3.9 miles away); Muskego Beach Amusement Park (approx. 4 miles away); Wisconsin's Lime Industry (approx. 5.5 miles away); Boyhood Home of Jeremiah Curtin (approx. 5.6 miles away); Linnie Lac (approx. 5.6 miles away); Janesville Plank Road (approx. 5.9 miles away); Village of Greendale (approx. 6.2 miles away); Childhood Home of Wisconsin Governor Julius P. Heil (1876-1949) (approx. 6.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Muskego.
1. History of Luther Parker Cemetery
This cemetery was named after Luther Parker who, in 1836, came with his wife, Alletta, and four children to settle in Durham Hill hamlet. He was born in Temple, N.H., in 1800. They had three daughters and one son when they arrived. Later, another daughter was born who died shortly thereafter. Luther was one of several responsible for the secession of Waukesha from Milwaukee County in 1846. He served in the Wisconsin Legislature and on the early Waukesha County Board. His son Charles became Wisconsin lieutenant governonr.
Originally, this cemetery was named Durham Cemetery for the Durham Hill hamlet in which it was located. Land for the cemetery was given by Levi Guild. It was established in 1843 with the earliest burial in 1847. The Drought family has the largest number of burials. The cemetery became inactive in 1958. The hamlet was named after a herd of red cattle imported from England by R.S. Roe. The area became known for its outstanding herds of pedigreed cattle. A post office was established in 1862. Emigration of Germans, Dutch, and Irish joined the English who were already there.
In 1966 the Public Welfare Committee recommended a memorial to the first settler and changed the name of the cemetery from Durham to Luther Parker. Two markers were erected at this time and placed on the property; one for the history of the cemetery and the other regarding the botanical aspect of the property. The cemetery was recognized for its native wildflowers and prairie grasses that grow among the graves. Every year they do a controlled burn to take down the height of the grasses and then let it grow again.
— Submitted September 6, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 442 times since then. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |