Inscription. On February 14, 1829, twelve persons met and organized under the name Ephesus Baptist Church of Columbus. The northern half of this block had been designated for religious purposes in the state survey of 1828, and a small meeting house was built for the church on this site in 1830. This was replaced by a larger frame structure in 1840, the same year the General Assembly of Georgia granted a charter to the Baptist Church of Columbus. The name was changed to First Baptist Church of Columbus, Georgia, in 1896.
By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
|1. First Baptist Church Marker|
The present sanctuary was constructed in 1859. The Doric columns and wings were added in this century.
Erected 1989 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the First Baptist Church.
Location. 32° 28.11′ N, 84° 59.381′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on 12th Street 0 miles west of Third Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 12th Street, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbian Lodge No. 7, Free & Accepted Masons Columbus, Georgia (about 400 feet away, in a direct line); Church of the Holy Family (about 500 feet away); Confederate Memorial Day (about 600 feet away); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); Martin J. Crawford (about 800 feet away); Philip Trammell Shutze (about 800 feet away); First Black Public School (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.