Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Chesapeake, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Pleasant Grove Baptist Church Cemetery

Home of the Jackson Greys

 
 
Pleasant Grove Baptist Church Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Chris Bieber, August 6, 2011
1. Pleasant Grove Baptist Church Cemetery Marker
Inscription. This is the former site of the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church. The monument to the "Jackson Greys" honors the regiment that was formed on the grounds of Pleasant Grove Baptist Church by Capt. (later Lieutenant Colonel) William H. Stewart who lived nearby in his home "Beechwood". Hundreds of other local men served in this company, including Lt. William Wallace of "Glencoe", who was killed during the August 19, 1864, Battle of Weldon Railroad.

The Jackson Greys were recruited from St. Bride's Parish of Norfolk County and named after Mr. James W. Jackson. Jackson was the proprietor of the Marshall House in Alexandria, Virginia. He killed Col. Elmer Ellsworth of the New York Fire Zouaves when Ellsworth removed the Confederate flag from his hotel. Jackson was also killed during the melee.

The Jackson Greys were mustered into Confederate service as Co. A, 61st Virginia Volunteer Regiment and initially served at the Gosport Navy Yard. In December 1861, the company was transferred to Sewwll's Point where the unit saw action during the CSS Virginia's (Merrimack) March 8, 1862, sortie against the USS Congress and USS Cumberland. The Greys served in the most advanced battery at Sewell's Point and often exchanged cannon fire with Fort Wool on the Rip Raps in the middle of Hampton Roads.

When Norfolk was evacuated,
Pleasant Grove Baptist Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Chris Bieber, August 6, 2011
2. Pleasant Grove Baptist Church Cemetery
the unit was stationed at Bermuda Hundred near Petersburg and traded cannon fire with Union gunboats at Port Walthall on June 26, 1862. After duty near Bristone Station, the 61st was assigned to Mahone's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. The unit fought at the Battles of Salem Church, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, Wilcox Farm, the Crater, Weldon Rail Road, Burgess Mill and Hatcher's Run. The Jackson Greys served with honor throughout the war and surrendered at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865.
 
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 36° 37.782′ N, 76° 14.579′ W. Marker is near Chesapeake, Virginia. Marker is on St. Brides Road 0.3 miles south of Benefit Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chesapeake VA 23322, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Bride's Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Seven Patriot Heroes (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Cuffeytown Thirteen (approx. 4.4 miles away); Norfolk County Almshouse
Jackson Greys Monument image. Click for full size.
By Chris Bieber, August 6, 2011
3. Jackson Greys Monument
(approx. 5.9 miles away); Southern Branch Chapel / Battle of Great Bridge / Wilson Family (approx. 6 miles away); Dividing Line (approx. 6.2 miles away in North Carolina); Battle of Great Bridge (approx. 6.3 miles away); Planning a Canal (approx. 6.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chesapeake.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Chris Bieber of Chesapeake, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,447 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Chris Bieber of Chesapeake, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement