Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lexington in Lafayette County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Battle of Lexington

September 18, 19, 20, 1861

 

The Anderson House

 
Anderson House - The Battle of Lexington image. Click for full size.
By Tony Meyers, August 10, 2011
1. Anderson House - The Battle of Lexington
Inscription. William Oliver Anderson (1794-1873) and his son-in-law, Henry Howard Gratz, had built a prosperous business in Lexington around hemp production and rope making in the 1850s. Prior to the Civil War, Anderson became one of the most prominent residents and businessmen in the community, owner of a local newspaper and rope factory and the builder of this fine house in 1853. It was described by the Lexington Express newspaper as “the largest and best arranged dwelling house west of St. Louis.”

Anderson and his family lived in the house for only six years before he fell into serious financial difficulty. An Oct. 1859 public auction of his properties was held to satisfy his creditors. Thomas Akers, another son-in-law, bought the house and grounds at the auction for $7,565. He later abandoned it in the breaking storm of the Civil War.

Anderson remained in Lexington until 1862 when he was arrested by the occupying Federal troops for his Southern sympathies. He was sent to the Gratiot Prison in St. Louis and eventually paroled. He could not return to Missouri or enter any Southern state through the duration of the War. After the War he lived in Kentucky where he is buried.

Prior to the battle, Union officers designated the Anderson House as a field hospital for wounded and sick soldiers. The neutrality
The Anderson House - South side image. Click for full size.
By Tony Meyers, August 10, 2011
2. The Anderson House - South side
The photo shows position of the marker relative to the south side of the house.
of such a hospital, marked by a yellow flag, would normally have been respected by both sides. However, as a result of its strategic importance and the general confusion, it was attacked repeatedly by both sides.

The depression, to the west, is where Southern Gen. Thomas Harris 2nd Division charged the Anderson House. The house was occupied at approximately 1:00 pm on Sept. 18th. Later that day Union commander Col. James Mulligan ordered a counter assault which stormed through the back yard, (see the battle damage on the back wall of the Anderson House).
 
Location. 39° 11.444′ N, 93° 52.848′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Missouri, in Lafayette County. Marker is on Delaware Street 0.2 miles north of Delaware Street and John Shea Drive. Click for map. Access to the Anderson House is through the Battle of Lexington Visitor's Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1101 Delaware Street, Lexington MO 64067, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Battle of Lexington (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Lexington (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Battle of Lexington
The Anderson House - Front view looking east. image. Click for full size.
By Tony Meyers, August 10, 2011
3. The Anderson House - Front view looking east.
(about 700 feet away); a different marker also named The Battle of Lexington (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lafayette County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Original Site of Russell, Majors and Waddell Home Office (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lexington (approx. 0.4 miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lexington.
 
More about this marker. Marker is located on the south side of the Anderson House.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Battle damage on rear of the Anderson House. image. Click for full size.
By Tony Meyers, August 10, 2011
4. Battle damage on rear of the Anderson House.
This photo shows some of the damage to the Anderson House described on the marker.
The Anderson House - Back view looking to the west. image. Click for full size.
By Tony Meyers, August 10, 2011
5. The Anderson House - Back view looking to the west.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tony Meyers of Liberty, Missouri. This page has been viewed 458 times since then and 112 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Tony Meyers of Liberty, Missouri. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement