Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coulterville in Mariposa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Coulterville

 
 
Coulterville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 17, 2011
1. Coulterville Marker
Inscription. While miners worked nearby streams and veins for gold, George W. Coulter served their needs as merchant and hotel proprietor. His first store, established in 1850, was a tent stocked with merchandise hauled in by pack train. Coulter and the town which bears his name prospered as Coulterville became the business and social capital of the area.
 
Erected 1959 by California State Park Commission, Mariposa County Rrecreation and Parks Commission and the Mariposa County Historical Society. (Marker Number 332.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the California Historical Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 37° 42.683′ N, 120° 11.853′ W. Marker is in Coulterville, California, in Mariposa County. Marker is on State Highway 49, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. The marker is located on the Northeast side of Highway 49 between Main Street and Broadway, in front of Coulterville Park. Marker is in this post office area: Coulterville CA 95311, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Coulterville (within shouting distance of this marker); Whistling Billy (within shouting distance
Coulterville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
2. Coulterville Marker
of this marker); Jeffery Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Coulterville Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mint (about 400 feet away); Sun Sun Wo Co. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Haigh Ranch (approx. 2.5 miles away); Bagby (approx. 7.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Coulterville.
 
Also see . . .  History of Coulterville. The mining camp was also known as Bandarita, Bandereta, Matsell’s Creek, Maxwell’s Creek and Maxwellville (Submitted on August 21, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
 
Coulterville Marker Located in Front of Coulterville Park image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 17, 2011
3. Coulterville Marker Located in Front of Coulterville Park
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement