Rockdale in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Thomas and Nathan G. Van Horn built the first mill dam of logs in 1846. They built a saw, grist, and carding mill in 1847. The two mill stones weighing 3016 pounds apiece were imported from France.
Flour milling was discontinued in 1944. Electricity replaced water power in 1956.
Our gratitude to recent owners for perpetuating the charm of this place.
Erected 1965 by the Dane County Historical Society. (Marker Number 6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 58.355′ N, 89° 1.889′ W. Marker is in Rockdale, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street (County Highway B) and Adams Street, on the right when traveling south on Water Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cambridge WI 53523, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Koshkonong (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lake Ripley (approx. 2.6 miles away); West Koshkonong Lutheran Congregation (approx. 6.4 miles away); Albion Academy (approx. 6.7 miles away); Sterling North (approx. 6.7 miles away); Bovre Congregation (approx. 7.6 miles away); Goose Lake (approx. 7.8 miles away); Lorine Niedecker (approx. 8.1 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker originally was placed in the “triangle” formerly situated between three adjoining streets—Water, Adams, Exchange—but was apparently removed during bridge and road construction in the area in 2009. The marker is now located on the north side of Water Street (County Highway B) at the former mill property, currently owned by Dane County Parks. A rededication ceremony was held on August 13, 2011.
1. Rockdale Mill historical marker
The Rockdale Mill historical marker originally was placed in the “triangle” formerly situated between three adjoining streets—Water, Adams, Exchange—and now is located on the north side of Water St(County Highway B) at the former mill property, currently owned by Dane County Parks, at a location directly west of the site identified on your web page as its former (and incorrect) previous location. It is located at the western edge of the county highway right-of-way, about 100 feet south of the nearest adjoining private property. A rededication ceremony is planned for August 13, 2011.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 698 times since then. Last updated on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 4, 5. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.