Inscription. In the winter of 1904, the first Fairbanks Public School was opened. Ten students finished the spring term. In the fall of 1905, the school enrolled 50 students. The next year, 150 students attended.
Construction of a much-needed new school on the corner to Turner and Cushman streets between Eighth and Ninth avenues, was started in the last half of October 1907. The school was completed the night before it opened on December 3. Designed by Aloysius Friedrich, it was the pride of the community. The wooden building was used until December 4, 1932, when it was destroyed by fire.
In 1934 the Art Deco building known as “Old Main” was built. Its wings were added later. The school served children until 1989, and played an important part in the history of the community and education in Alaska. “Old Main,” which now house City Hall, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 27, 2010
|1. Fairbanks Public Schools Marker|
|Photo captions; Top: At the end of the 1907-1908 school year, students line up outside the new schoolhouse on Cushman Street for a class picture.
Middle right: The Fairbanks Public School was the venue for many community activities, from weekend dances and basketball in the gym, to staging area for outdoor events.
Middle left: The Fairbanks Public School eighth grade graduating class of 1910.
Bottom: In 1906, Fairbanks students wearing sashes with their names of their home states pose to have their picture taken.
Click image to enlarge.|
Location. 64° 50.53′ N, 147° 43.235′ W. Marker is in Faribanks, Alaska, in Fairbanks North Star Borough. Marker is at the intersection of Cushman Street and 4th Avenue on Cushman Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 430 Cushman Street, Fairbanks AK 99701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
. "The Line" (here, next to this marker); Cushman Street (a few steps from this marker); Barnette's Landing (about 700 feet away, in a direct line); Lacey Street Theater (1939) (about 700 feet away); The Founding of Fairbanks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Suter House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wickersham Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clay Street Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Faribanks.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 24, 2010
|2. Courthouse Square, formerly "Old Main"|
Also see . . . The Downtown Fairbanks Walking Tour - Courthouse Square. (Submitted on September 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Additional keywords. art deco buildings,
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 138 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |