Inscription. Built in 1740 on this site. The first Proprietor's Meeting in Fall Town was held here in 1741. The Lieutenant's son Eliakim was shot by Indians in 1747 while working west of the fort walls.
By Russell C. Bixby, March 27, 2012
|1. Lieut. Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort, Route 10, Northfield Road (East)|
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers marker series.
Location. 42° 40.298′ N, 72° 30.752′ W. Marker is in Bernardston, Massachusetts, in Franklin County. Marker is on Northfield Road (U.S. 10), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bernardston MA 01337, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Deacon Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort (approx. 1.9 miles away); King Philip's Hill (approx. 2 miles away); Burke Fort (approx. 2.4 miles away); Indian Council Fires (approx. 2.7 miles away); Captain Richard Beers (approx. 2.8 miles away); First Settlement (approx. 3 miles away); Connable Fort (approx. 3.8 miles away); Nathanial Dickinson House (approx. 4.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bernardston.
More about this marker. Located at the intersection of Route 10 and Purple Meadow Road in Bernardston.
By Russell C. Bixby, May 20, 2011
|2. Lieu. Ebenezer Sheldon Fort Marker|
|The marker prior to restoration.|
Also see . . .
1. Tercentenary Commission Markers. Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on May 21, 2011, by Russell C. Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
2. The Line of Forts (Historical Archaeology on the Colonial Frontier of Massachusetts). This marker was placed at the site of one the forts established by Governor William Shirley, along the northern border of Massachusetts, as a defense against the French and their Indian allies. Construction of these forts or fortified houses immediately preceded the French & Indian War (1754-1763).
These frontier fortifications of the Massachusetts Bay Colony were the subject of a 2006 publication titled The Line of Forts (Historical Archaeology on the Colonial Frontier of Massachusetts) by Michael D. Coe. (Submitted on July 6, 2011, by Russell C. Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2011, by Russell C. Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 385 times since then. Last updated on October 9, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. Photos: 1. submitted on July 27, 2012, by Russell C. Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. 2. submitted on May 20, 2011, by Russell C. Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |