Inscription. The Lieutenant's son Ebenezer, later deacon of the church and first town treasurer, built a fort ten rods east of here in 1740/41. It was unsuccessfully attacked by Indians in 1746 during King
By Russell C. Bixby, March 27, 2012
|1. Deacon Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort , Huckle Hill Road (North)|
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers marker series.
Location. 42° 41.801′ N, 72° 31.603′ W. Marker is in Bernardston, Massachusetts, in Franklin County. Marker is on Huckle Hill Road just from West Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bernardston MA 01337, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Burke Fort (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lieut. Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort (approx. 1.9 miles away); Connable Fort (approx. 2.2 miles away); King Philip's Hill (approx. 2.7 miles away); First Settlement (approx. 3.5 miles away); Indian Council Fires (approx. 4.2 miles away); Nathanial Dickinson House (approx. 4.2 miles away); Captain Richard Beers (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bernardston.
Also see . . .
Tercentenary Commission. Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on May 21, 2011, by Russell C. Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
By Russell C. Bixby, May 20, 2011
|2. Deacon Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort Marker|
|The marker prior to its restoration.|
1. The Line of Forts
This marker was placed at the site of one the forts established by Governor William Shirley, along the northern border of Massachusetts, as a defense against the French and their Indian allies. Construction of these forts or fortified houses immediately preceded the French & Indian War (1754-1763).
These frontier fortifications of the Massachusetts Bay Colony were the subject of a 2006 publication titled The Line of Forts (Historical Archaeology on the Colonial Frontier of Massachusetts) by Michael D. Coe
— Submitted May 23, 2011, by Russell C. Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.
Credits. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2011, by Russell C. Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 351 times since then. Last updated on October 26, 2011, by Russell C. Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. Photos: 1. submitted on July 27, 2012, by Russell C. Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. 2. submitted on May 20, 2011, by Russell C. Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |