Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Joseph Manigault House
The lot, which was part of a tract formerly known as Wraggsborough, had belonged to Joseph Manigault's mother, Mrs. Peter Manigault, to whom it had come by inheritance from her father Joseph Wragg.
Erected 1953 by The City of Charleston, S.C.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 32° 47.313′ N, 79° 56.126′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is at the intersection of Meeting Street and Ashmead Place, on the right when traveling north on Meeting Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 350 Meeting Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Charleston Museum's Joseph Manigault House (within shouting distance of this marker); Wragg Square (within shouting distance of this marker); The Civil War Submarine, H.L. Hunley Wade Hampton Monument (about 400 feet away); Passengers and Products (about 500 feet away); The Railroad Comes To Charleston (about 600 feet away); Building a Nation (about 600 feet away); The Best Friend of Charleston (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding The Joseph Manigault House. National Register of Historic Places:
Manigault, Joseph, House *** (added 1973 - - #73001688)
350 Meeting St. , Charleston
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Manigault,Gabriel
♦ Architectural Style: Early Republic, Other
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1750-1799
♦ Historic Function: Domestic
One of the finest examples of the Adam style in America, the Joseph Manigault house reflects the architect’s taste for the classic style. Particularly of note is the small and refined scale of the detail in mantels, door and window mouldings, and cornices at wall and
and designed several buildings in the city after the war. The house is patterned as a parallelogram, its right angled severity broken effectively by a stairwell bow on the north wall, a bowed piazza to the west, and offset wide porches on the south where the formal garden affords a pleasant view toward the domed gate house. The wooden columns of the portico are mounted on stone plinths to prevent rot and between the subflooring and the heart-pine flooring is a layer of lime to discourage insects. Heavy pine rafters support the slate roof. Listed in the National Register November 7, 1973; Designated a National Historic Landmark November 7, 1973. (South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
Also see . . . Joseph Manigault House, The Charleston Museum entry. ..reflects the lifestyle of both a wealthy, rice-planting family and the slaves who also lived there. ... (Submitted on December 22, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. The Joseph Manigault House,
built in 1803, is a premier example of Adam-style or Federal architecture. Designed by gentleman architect Gabriel Manigault for his brother Joseph, the house is one of the most distinguished in the city, capturing the lifestyle of a wealthy, rice-planting family. The interior reflects an outstanding collection of American, English and French furnishings of the period. A charming Gate Temple is the focus of the period Garden.
In 1920, the house was threatened with demolition to make way for a gas station. In response, a group of
Charlestonians organized a preservation group which would become the Preservation Society of Charleston.
— Submitted December 22, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 503 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 10. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.