Inscription. Aug. 31, 1864. Lee’s troops [CS] were withdrawn from Atlanta’s defense lines evening of the 30th when Hood learned that Federal forces, after wrecking the West Point R.R. to the S.W., were threatening the Macon R.R. at Jonesboro.
By David Seibert, October 6, 2010
|1. Gen. S. D. Lee's Corps Marker Pole|
Lee’s troops, together with Hardee’s, began the march to Jonesboro long after dark; Hardee’s three divs. & Anderson’s of Lee’s A.C., left from East Point & Rough and Ready on the main rd.
Lee’s other two divs., Stevenson’s & Clayton’s went by Mt. Zion Ch. (Fulton Co.) & Rough & Ready where they followed the R.R. via Morrow’s Sta., arriving at Jonesboro in the immediate rear of Hardee’s command in the late forenoon.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-9.)
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 33.167′ N, 84° 20.817′ W. Marker was in Jonesboro, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker was at the intersection of Jonesboro Road (Georgia Route 54) and Battlecreek Road, on the right when traveling north on Jonesboro Road. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Jonesboro GA 30236, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, as the crow flies. Site of McPeak House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Jonesboro The Second Day (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hardee’s Detour (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hardee’s Corps at Jonesboro (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Warren House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Two Days of Battle at Jonesboro (approx. 1.6 miles away); Attack by Lee's Corps (approx. 1.7 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jonesboro.
More about this marker. The marker disappeared sometime in late 2000. Text for the missing marker was taken from “Georgia Historical Markers” (Bay Tree Grove, Second Edition 1978) compiled by Carroll P. Scruggs from the records of the Georgia Historical Commission.
Credits. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 98 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on December 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |