Inscription. This is the site of Poplar Spring Church of Petsworth Parish. In 1694, Old Petsworth Church was abandoned in favor of this church. It was considered the finest church of colonial Virginia. In 1676, the followers of Bacon, the Rebel, interred here a casket supposed to contain his remains, but in reality filled with stones. The body was buried secretly.
By Laura Troy, October 13, 2007
|1. Poplar Spring Church Marker|
Erected 1930 by Conservation and Development Commission. (Marker Number N-61.)
Location. 37° 27.307′ N, 76° 35.891′ W. Marker is near Signpine, Virginia, in Gloucester County. Marker is on George Washington Memorial Highway (U.S. 17) south of Chesapeake Rd, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gloucester VA 23061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Marlfield (approx. ľ mile away); Bethel Baptist Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Indian Princess Pocahontas (approx. 4.3 miles away); Gloucester Courthouse (approx. 4.3 miles away); Cappahosic (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Indentured Servants' Plot (approx. 4.3 miles away); King and Queen County / Gloucester County (approx. 4.3 miles away); Poropotank Creek (approx. 4.3 miles away).
More about this marker.
The Bacon referred to on this marker was Nathaniel Bacon (1647–1676), leader of Baconís Rebellion.
By Laura Troy, October 13, 2007
|2. Poplar Spring Church Marker|
Regarding Poplar Spring Church. Rev. Thomas Vicaris and Robert Nettles had (12) twelve grandsons that fought in the American Revolutionary War. Seven (7) of whom fought in the Pee Dee Regiment commanded by General Francis Marion (The Swamp Fox). This Regiment was called Marion's Brigade and known as "The Light Dragoons"!
Captain William Nettles was the commander of the Kershaw Regiment and Major John Nettles was the commander of a company of "Catawba Indians">John Nettles was a graduate of William and Mary College.
1. Pastor/Rev. Thomas Vicaris 1666-1696
My grrrr-grandfather was Rev. Thomas Vicaris and he was the pastor, rector and over the Vestry at Poplar Springs church from 1666 to 1696. He was born in Gloucester County.
His father's name was Thomas Vicaris, too. He was born in 1633 in York County (his mother was Jonne French born in 1639). The Reverend was an only child.
Rev. Thomas Vicaris's daughter Mary was married to my grandfather Robert Nettles. Robert was born in Gloucester in 1677. He was Gloucester County's surveyor in the 1690s and elected Gloucester County supervisor from 1700 to 1704.
Robert's parents were Captain John Nettles (sea captain) and Mary Reed. They were married at St. Dunstan, Stepney, London on May 18, 1647. Captain John Nettles was born in Portsmouth, UK., Oct.1, 1620. He first arrived in America as a sea captain on March 10, 1651 and was reported "lost at sea" on May 26,1686.
His wife Mary died in New Town(Newton), Massachusetts on October 4,1691.
Bacon's Rebellion...Reverend Thomas Vicaris and Robert Nettles had (4) grandsons, which were brothers, that were born in Gloucester County and fought in the American Revolutionary War in South Carolina. The most notable was Captain William Nettles. He fought from July 1776 to Dec. 1782. He was the Kershaw Company CMDR. His regiment was the Pee Dee Regiment. His commanding officer was Gen. Francis Marion (The Swamp Fox). The movie "The Patriot" depicts his Regiment!
Rev. Thomas Vicaris's relatives are thought to have been members of Virginia's "Lost Colony"!
Note: Reverend Thomas Vicaris owned approximately 2,000 acres of land. Much of his land was located on the Chesapeake Bay.
In 1678, he obtained 1,350 acres of the 2,000 acres from land grants for transporting 27 families into Colonial Petsworth Parish.
The city of Falmouth, Virginia was founded and subsists today on the same land that Reverend Vicaris was the first American owner.
The pastor also owned an 87 acre island located at the mouth of the Rappahannock River (Parrot Island).
— Submitted July 31, 2011, by Randy Nettles of Charleston, South Carolina.
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,345 times since then. Last updated on February 15, 2012, by Randy Nettles of Charleston, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |