HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Frederick
 
Fort Frederick Marker in Albany, NY Photo, Click for full size
By Howard C. Ohlhous, September 25, 2006
1. Fort Frederick Marker in Albany, NY
 
Inscription.
In the Middle of this Street
To the East Stood
Fort Frederick
Goal of Burgoyne's Drive to
Split the Colonies - 1777

 
Erected 1940 by New York State Education Department.
 
Location. 42° 39.086′ N, 73° 45.331′ W. Marker is in Albany, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Eagle Street and Eagle Street and State Street, on the right when traveling south on Eagle Street. Click for map. The marker is in New York State Capital Park (essentially the front lawn of the capital) below the Capitol, and beside the sidewalk at the intersection of Eagle Street & State Street in Albany. Marker is in this post office area: Albany NY 12207, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Frederick (a few steps from this marker); City Hall Carillon (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Frederick (within shouting distance of this marker); Schuyler Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Main Entrance to Old Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); 1624-1924 (within shouting distance of this marker); Kilian Van Rensselaer (within shouting distance of this marker); The Kings Highway (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Albany.
 
Fort Frederick Marker with New York State Capitol in Background Photo, Click for full size
By Howard C. Ohlhous, January 31, 2008
2. Fort Frederick Marker with New York State Capitol in Background
 

 
Regarding Fort Frederick. Fort Frederick in Albany, Albany County dates from 1676. Originally a stockade of wood construction which replaced Fort Orange (a Dutch trading fort of 1624 taken over by British in 1664) which was on the river. The wooden stockade enclosed the city. It was rebuilt as a masonry fort, with 21 canons, between 1702-35, on

State Street hill just below the present location of the State Capitol building. Fort Frederick was torn down about 1789. Referred to in "Drums Along the
Mohawk" as Fort Albany.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Frederick. The web page of the New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center (Submitted on February 9, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.) 
 
Additional keywords. Fort Frederick Albany Burgoyne Revolutionary Colonies 1777
 
Fort Frederick Marker From Across Eagle Street Photo, Click for full size
By Howard C. Ohlhous, January 31, 2008
3. Fort Frederick Marker From Across Eagle Street
New York State Capitol in the background
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,758 times since then. Last updated on February 10, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 8, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 344 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.