Ellsworth in Ellsworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
1873 County Jail
Historical Plaza Walking Tour Stop 10
During Ellsworth's earliest years, Wild Bill Hickok's common-law wife, Indian Annie, lived in a shack near this site. After Hickok abandoned Indian Annie, she made ends meet washing clothes, scrubbing floors at the Grand Central Hotel (9) and reading fortune cards.
Deputy U.S. Marshal Hickok once helped Sheriff Kingsbury and Township Constable Whitney tie offending drunken troublemakers to fence posts to cool off before the jail was built. This was the first building in Ellsworth erected for the purpose of holding prisoners.
The first prisoner, J.M. Gruder, escaped. The Ellsworth Reporter announced, "The sheriff is not at all to blame as the building is not full ready for prisoners." It was said that the new jail was the most comfortable place in town, but that not too many should crowd into the place at once.
Erected by Ellsworth County Economic Development, Ellsworth-Kanapolis Area Chamber of Commerce, Ellwsorth County Historical Society, et al. (Marker Number 10.)
Location. 38° 43.685′ N, 98° 13.746′ W. Marker is in Ellsworth, Kansas, in Ellsworth County. Marker is on Court Avenue near 1st Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Court Avenue, Ellsworth KS 67439, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Plaza (1873) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grand Central Hotel (about 400 feet away); Kansas Pacific Railroad Depots (about 600 feet away); Joe Brennan Saloon (about 700 feet away); Nick Lentz Saloon (about 700 feet away); Beebe General Store (about 700 feet away); The Old Reliable House (about 700 feet away); North Main Street (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Ellsworth.
Also see . . .
1. Wickedest Cowtown of the West.
2. Ellsworth County in Cutler's History of the State of Kansas (1883).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 331 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 3, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.