Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Jackson County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
First United Methodist Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Dave Wilcox, March 31, 2012
1. First United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. The origins of the First United Methodist Church can be traced to 1831 when preacher Elijah Pilcher arrived in “Jacksonburgh” to serve the town's growing Methodist community. Services were held around town until a small church was erected in 1850. The congregation built a larger church at the present site in 1868. In 1922 Detroit architect W.E.N. Hunter designed the current Neo-Gothic structure around the 1868 church, which is still visible in the sanctuary. A larger pipe organ and the Virginia and Katherine Hayes memorial window were installed at that time, donated by businessman C.B. Hayes. Prominent members also included W.A. Foote, co-founder of Consumers Power Company. The church was enlarged yet again in 1954.
 
Erected 2006 by Michigan Historical Commission, Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2166.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 14.84′ N, 84° 24.668′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Michigan, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Michigan Avenue and South Blackstone Street, on the right when traveling east on West Michigan Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 275 W Michigan Ave, Jackson MI 49201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
First United Methodist Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Dave Wilcox, March 31, 2012
2. First United Methodist Church Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Congregational Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Horace Ismon / Ismon Building (about 700 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); Jacksonburg Public Square (about 800 feet away); Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Austin Blair (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Mary Star of the Sea Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jackson.
 
Also see . . .  First United Methodist Church of Jackson. (Submitted on April 16, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
First United Methodist Church Photo, Click for full size
By Dave Wilcox, March 31, 2012
3. First United Methodist Church
First United Methodist Church Plaque Photo, Click for full size
By Dave Wilcox, March 31, 2012
4. First United Methodist Church Plaque
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. This page has been viewed 447 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement