Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Calistoga in Napa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Calistoga Depot

 
 
Calistoga Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 26, 2009
1. Calistoga Depot Marker
Inscription. Built by Sam Brannan for the Napa Valley Railroad in 1868 one year before the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad. Second oldest remaining railroad station in California. Northern terminus of the Napa Valley Railroad and its successors the Napa Valley Branches of the Central Pacific Railroad and the Southern Pacific Railroad.

Restored in 1978 by Calistoga Depot Association

Dedicated March 17, 1979
Sam Brannan Chapter No.1004
E Clampus Vitus

 
Erected 1978 by Sam Brannan Chapter No.1004, E Clampus Vitus.
 
Location. 38° 34.792′ N, 122° 34.697′ W. Marker is in Calistoga, California, in Napa County. Marker is on Lincoln Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1458 Lincoln Avenue, Calistoga CA 94515, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount View Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Calistoga City Hall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Calistoga Sam Brannan Center (about 700 feet away); Oat Hill Mine Road (approx.
Calistoga Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 26, 2009
2. Calistoga Depot Marker
0.6 miles away); Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Schramsberg (approx. 3.2 miles away); Larkmead Winery / Kornell Cellars (approx. 3.3 miles away); Reason P. Tucker (approx. 3.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Calistoga.
 
Regarding Calistoga Depot. This site is designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 687.

The facility now includes six restored railroad cars housing historical exhibits and retail shops.

This site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 18, 1977

This site was designated as California Registered Historic Landmark No.687 on July 31, 1959:

Landmark Statement of Significance:
The Napa Valley Railroad depot, now the Southern Pacific depot, was built in 1868. Its roundhouse across Lincoln Avenue is gone. On its first trip, this railroad brought people to Calistoga for the elaborate opening of Brannan's summer resort in October 1868.
 
Also see . . .  Listening for Trains. An article by Lauren Coodley (Submitted on May 3, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 
 
Additional comments.
State Historical Landmark No.687 image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 26, 2009
3. State Historical Landmark No.687
Sign mounted on building under the marker

1. Additional Information Regarding the Marker Dedication
Harry Downham was Noble Grand Humbug when this plaque was dedicated. Plaque wording by Edward D. Hawkins.
    — Submitted April 15, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.

 
Categories. Industry & CommerceLandmarksRailroads & Streetcars
 
Calistoga Depot image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 26, 2009
4. Calistoga Depot
Calistoga Depot image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 26, 2009
5. Calistoga Depot
Central Pacific Coach 12 image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 26, 2009
6. Central Pacific Coach 12
Railroad car on display at the depot - The Calistoga Wine Shop
This passenger coach was built in 1866 for the just-organized Central Pacific Railroad by the Harlan & Hollisworth Company of Wilmington, Delaware and shipped around Cape Horn by steamer to Sacramento. The car was set on the Central Pacificís rails in Sacramento where it assisted in construction of the railroad eastward until it met the westward building Union Pacific Railroad at the historic Golden Spike Ceremony in Promotory, Utah on May 10, 1869. The great Transcontinental Railroad was completed causing accelerated western expansion of America and the settlement of the west.

Coach 12 was retired from active passenger service in 1905 after more than a million miles of travel and placed in railroad maintenance service. In 1926 it was permantly retired and placed without its wheels in the Stockton Railroad Yard as an employee storage building. It was obtained just prior to its planned demise by Calistoga Depot Association in 1977 and was brought to Calistoga where it was restored to its 1880ís state in 1978 – its 112th year.
From sign mounted on front of rail car.
Central Pacific Coach 12 image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 26, 2009
7. Central Pacific Coach 12
Close-Up of Photo Placed on Front of Rail Car
Rail Cars Now Home to Retail Shops image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 26, 2009
8. Rail Cars Now Home to Retail Shops
North Side of Depot and Rail Cars on Display image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 26, 2009
9. North Side of Depot and Rail Cars on Display
Calistoga Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 26, 2009
10. Calistoga Depot Marker
The Weekly Calistogan
Calistogaís Historic Newspaper
Since 1877
(Building on the grounds of the Calistoga Depot.)
Calistoga Depot image. Click for full size.
By Loren Wilson, April 11, 2008
11. Calistoga Depot
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,041 times since then and 139 times this year. Last updated on , by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   11. submitted on , by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement