Inscription. Yount town site was established by George C. Yount in 1855 at the southern boundary of his Rancho Caymus encompassing Madison Street and the area north thereof. The original site contained four full and two partial blocks including six streets: Yount, Jefferson, Washington, Jackson, Monroe, and Madison with a public square. Lincoln has replaced Washington St. and Jackson is now part of the cemetery. Beginning in 1856 the area south of Madison Street was known for a time as Sebastopol as was the Post Office. The Postal Service changed the name to Yountville May 14, 1867.
By Loren Wilson, August 20, 2007
|1. Yountville Marker|
Erected 1981 by Sam Brannan Chapter No. 1004, E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 38° 24.22′ N, 122° 21.699′ W. Marker is in Yountville, California, in Napa County. Marker is at the intersection of Yount Street and Finnell Road, on the right when traveling north on Yount Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6550 Yount Street, Yountville CA 94599, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Yountville's First Fire House (about 700 feet away, in a direct line); Yountville Community Hall (about 700 feet away); The Pioneer Christian Church Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Home of California (approx. half a mile away); Grave of George C. Yount (approx. half a mile away); Good Indian Go Big Hill (approx. half a mile away); Cal 100 (approx. one mile away); Site of Yount’s Blockhouse (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Yountville.
By Loren Wilson
|2. Yountville Marker|
More about this marker. Plaque is located at the base of the flagpole in front of the Yountville Town Hall.
1. Additional Information Regarding the Marker Dedication
Dave Means was Noble Grand Humbug when this plaque was dedicated. Plaque wording by Edward D. Hawkins.
— Submitted April 16, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.