Inscription. Kenwood Depot, originally called South Los Guillicos, was constructed of locally quarried basalt in 1888 at a cost of $11,500. It was the only stone station on the 36.7 mile Northern Pacific Railway line which ran through the Sonoma Valley from Napa Junction to Santa Rosa. From here, great quantities of stone were shipped to San Francisco. The last train to Kenwood from the Bay Area was in 1936. Because of little traffic and the pressure of war the line was abandoned and the rail removed. The depot was purchased in 1940 by the Kenwood
By Syd Whittle
|1. Kenwood Depot Marker|
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 38° 24.637′ N, 122° 33.013′ W. Marker is in Kenwood, California, in Sonoma County. Marker can be reached from Warm Springs Road 0.3 miles west of California Highway 12, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 314 Warm Springs Road, Kenwood CA 95452, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Glen Ellen Cannon (approx. 3.6 miles away); Charles J. Poppe Building (approx. 3.6 miles away); Jack London Historical State Park (approx. 3.8 miles away); White Sulphur Springs (approx. 6.2 miles away); Chalet Bernensis (approx. 7.6 miles away); NSGW & Historic District (approx. 7.8 miles away); Richie Block (approx. 7.8 miles away); Beringer Brothers Winery (approx. 7.9 miles away).
By Loren Wilson, August 20, 2007
|2. Kenwood Depot|
|Marker is mounted on the wall to the left of the entrance door.|
1. Additional Information Regarding the Marker Dedication
Richard Haub was Noble Grand Humbug when this plaque was dedicated. Plaque wording by Loren A. Wilson.
— Submitted April 18, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.
Credits. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on May 3, 2012. 2. submitted on April 18, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Close-up photo of marker with readable text. • Can you help?
|Recommend or Share This Page. |