Inscription. This single-story duplex once served as housing for married officers and their families at Fort Clark. The U.S. Army fort, established in 1852 to defend the western frontier of Texas and the border with Mexico, saw significant growth in the 1870s. To accommodate a regimental size garrison, the Army constructed living quarters such as this particular house. Built by 1875 out of uncoursed, rough-cut limestone, the building features a cross-hipped roof, interior chimneys with double fireplaces and a distinctive U-shape. The fort closed in 1944 and later owners transformed the quarters into a single family home.
By William F Haenn, April 30, 2012
|1. Married Officers' Quarters 8-9 Marker|
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2006
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13643.)
Location. 29° 18.362′ N, 100° 25.318′ W. Marker is near Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is at the intersection of Colony Row and Patton Drive, on the right when traveling south on Colony Row. Click for map. Marker is located on Fort Clark Springs in the Fort Clark National Register Historic District and is accessible to the public. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8 Colony Row, Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
within walking distance of this marker. Officers' Row Quarters (a few steps from this marker); Officers Quarters 2-3 and 4 (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Clark Post Theater (about 500 feet away, in a direct line); U.S. Army Unit Memorial (about 600 feet away); Seminole-Negro Indian Scout Detachment (about 600 feet away); Adjutant's Quarters (Quarters #20) (about 600 feet away); 1873 Infantry Barracks (about 600 feet away); 2nd Cavalry Division at Fort Clark (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Brackettville.
By William F Haenn, September 21, 2008
|2. Married Officers' Quarters 8-9|
Regarding Married Officers' Quarters 8-9. Quarters Number 8-9 is one of thirty structures in the Fort Clark National Register Historic District built by the U.S. Army and designated as Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks. This single story double set of quarters is constructed of local limestone and situated first in the line of company grade officer's quarters. “This one story building has an irregular plan with hipped and gabled roofs...The configuration now is basically a U with the courtyard at the rear formed between two wings.” Today, the property continues to fulfill its original intended purpose of family housing.
Also see . . . Fort Clark Springs Living History. Fort Clark Springs Association (Submitted on April 30, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
By Lippe Studios, Del Rio, TX, 1938
|3. Historic view of Quarters 8-9, circa 1938|
Additional keywords. Army Architecture
Credits. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 201 times since then. Last updated on May 1, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on April 30, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. 2, 3. submitted on April 29, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |