Inscription. The Lincoln Highway was the first coast-to-coast highway built in 1913. A group of visionary businessmen from the automotive industry, led by Henry B. Joy and Carl Fisher, formed the Lincoln Highway Association.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 5, 2012
|1. The Beginning of the Lincoln Highway Marker|
The Association successfully spearheaded the creation of the publicly funded road that stretched from New York City, New York to San Francisco, California The road would be the first transcontinental highway. The Association engaged in very little actual road building, but it did fire the public's imagination and soon their project was under way. When it was completed it stretched 3,389 miles.
In Pennsylvania, much of the Lincoln Highway was constructed by improving and linking pre-existing roads, including the turnpikes and Forbes Road. It was a focal point of the Good Roads Movement, which would untimately lead to the development of highways all over the nation.
The Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor, is a non-profit heritage region that follows the Lincoln Highway through six Pennsylvania counties: Westmoreland, Somerset, Bedford, Fulton, Franklin, and Adams.
The first segments of the Lincoln Highway measured ten feet wide. Later, a wider width was recommended so two automobiles could drive on the road at the same time. Then, an 18-foot minimum in 1918 was established, and it still was not wide enough as seen in the photograph above. Today, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation specifications call for a 24' width for two-lane, local access roads.
Erected by Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lincoln Highway marker series.
Location. 40° 19.704′ N, 79° 42.606′ W. Marker is in Irwin, Pennsylvania, in Westmoreland County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue (Old Route 30) and Main Street. Click for map. Located at Entrance to Irwin Park. Marker is in this post office area: Irwin PA 15642, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. John Irwin House (within shouting distance of this marker); Braddock's Military Road 1755 "Three Springs" Camp (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bushy Run Battlefield (approx. 4.8 miles away); Bushy Run (approx. 5 miles away); Arthur J. Rooney (approx. 5.2 miles away); David McKee (approx. 6.1 miles away); Helen Richey (approx. 6.2 miles away); Queen Aliquippa (approx. 6.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Irwin.
Also see . . . Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor. (Submitted on August 5, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 103 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on August 5, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |