Inscription. Site of the original settlement of Maryville. Here Captain John Craig in 1785 erected a fort on Pistol Creek to protect settlers from Indian raids. In 1793 as many as 280 men, women, and children lived within its walls for several months, surviving an attack by 500 Indians. New Providence Presbyterian Church was organized here in 1786 by the Reverend Archibald Scott.
By Judith Barber, August 16, 2012
|1. John Craig's Fort Marker|
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1 E 100.)
Location. 35° 45.524′ N, 83° 57.956′ W. Marker is in Maryville, Tennessee, in Blount County. Marker is at the intersection of South Washington Street (State Highway 35) and Sevierville Road, on the right when traveling south on South Washington Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Maryville TN 37804, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, as the crow flies. Maryville College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Where Houston Enlisted (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Bennett Scott, Sr. (approx. half a mile away); New Providence Church (approx. half a mile away); Montvale Springs (approx. 0.7 miles away); Pride Mansion (approx. 0.7 miles away); Relief of Knoxville (approx. 0.7 miles away); Freedman's Institute (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Maryville.
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 90 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on August 27, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |