Inscription. A three-story brick building was erected 1872-74 on this site to train blacks as teachers. Institute was begun in 1867, in a log house ½ mile north, and later moved into a new building, financed mainly by friends. By 1879, it had trained 80 teachers. After closing in 1901, it served as a place of quarantine for smallpox victims. as Maryville Polytechnic (1904-26) and as Maryville High School (1927 – 38).
By Judith Barber, August 16, 2012
|1. Freedman's Institute Marker|
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1 E 104.)
Location. 35° 44.886′ N, 83° 58.809′ W. Marker is in Maryville, Tennessee, in Blount County. Marker is at the intersection of South Cedar Street and West Broadway Avenue (U.S. 411), on the right when traveling north on South Cedar Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 South Cedar Street, Maryville TN 37803, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, as the crow flies. Pride Mansion (approx. 0.4 miles away); Relief of Knoxville (approx. 0.4 miles away); Montvale Springs (approx. 0.4 miles away); New Providence Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); William Bennett Scott, Sr. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Where Houston Enlisted (approx. ¾ mile away); John Craig's Fort (approx. 1.1 miles away); Maryville College (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Maryville.
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 77 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on August 27, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |