Inscription. One of the oldest refineries in continuous production in the United States was founded near here in 1881 by pioneer independent oilmen Robert Childs, Eli Loomis, and William Willis. The original refining capacity was 10 barrels a day. One-hundred twenty-five years later, the refinery processed over 9000 barrels daily, purchasing more than three million barrels of Pennsylvania Grade crude oil annually, most of it from wells within 125 miles.
By Mike Wintermantel, September 3, 2012
|1. Bradford Oil Refinery Marker|
Erected 2006 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 41° 58.014′ N, 78° 37.676′ W. Marker is in Bradford, Pennsylvania, in McKean County. Marker is on North Kendall Avenue (Pennsylvania Route 46) 0.1 miles north of Limestone Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bradford PA 16701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Holley Motor Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Settlement of Knapp Creek (approx. 7.1 miles away in New York); Allegany Veterans Memorial (approx. 11 miles away in New York); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 11.2 miles away in New York); Ski Jumping (approx. 11.5 miles away in New York); Sweet Water Spring (approx. 12.7 miles away in New York); Major Adam Hoops (approx. 12.7 miles away in New York); 1804-2004 (approx. 12.8 miles away in New York).
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |