Inscription. Architects Fugard & Knapp designed this temple in 1924 for Grove Lodge No. 824, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. The Lodge was chartered October 4, 1893. Charter members included E.E. Downer, G.E. Downer, M.B. Downer, T.S. Rogers, Charles Mochel, W.S. Carpenter and William Repine who served as the first Worshipful Master.
October 5, 2012
|1. Masonic Temple Marker|
The cornerstone was laid on July 12, 1924. Grove Lodge held their first meeting in their new temple on February 16, 1925. During the Great Depression the building was almost lost. Charles K. McCann, Master in 1937, bought it for taxes and then sold it back to the lodge for $1.00. That check was never cashed but framed on the wall of his room when he died.
At least five new churches called the building home. During WWII the building was used as a Civil Defense Shelter and military motor pool-training center. It also served as a temporary hospital during the 1947 Zephyr train crash.
As with all Masonic Buildings this one is dedicated to Freemasonry, Virtue and Universal Benevolence.
Erected 2011 by Downers Grove Historical Society.
Location. 41° 47.634′ N, 88° 0.472′ W. Marker is in Downers Grove, Illinois, in Du Page County. Marker is at the intersection of
Curtiss Street and Washington Street, on the right when traveling east on Curtiss Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 923 Curtiss Street, Downers Grove IL 60515, United States of America.
October 5, 2012
|2. Masonic Temple|
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Farmer's and Merchant's Bank Building (about 600 feet away, in a direct line); The Indian Boundary Line (about 700 feet away); Main Street Cemetery (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Main Street Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ben Fuller House (approx. 4.5 miles away); Mammoth Spring (approx. 5.1 miles away); Site of St. Paul Lutheran School (approx. 9.5 miles away); Army Trail Road (approx. 9.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Downers Grove.
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2012. This page has been viewed 84 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 5, 2012. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |