Inscription. The Farmer's and Merchant's Bank Building was built in 1892 for the first bank in Downers Grove. The bank was organized on May 10, 1892. The officers of the bank included Charles Curtiss, President, W.A. Tope, M.D., Vice President, and W.H. Edwards, Cashier. The Directors were Jake Klein, Conrad Buschman, Charles Mochel, L.P. Narramore, Albert Smart and T.T. Thompson. The group of ladies who had formed the Ladies' Library Association in 1891 were delighted when the bank donated a room in the building for the first public library in Downers Grove. For a few years in the early 1890's the Post office was housed in an office at the east end of the Bank building with the entrance on Curtiss Street. In 1895 the building also housed the Reporter Columbian Magazine. William James Herring was the contractor for the Farmer's and Merchant's Bank Building as well as several other buildings on Main Street. Though considerably remodeled and without its tower this historic building still stands at the northeast corner of Main and Curtiss Streets.
October 5, 2012
|1. Farmer's and Merchant's Bank Building Marker|
Location. 41° 47.632′ N, 88° 0.605′ W. Marker is in Downers Grove, Illinois, in Du Page County. Marker is at the intersection of Curtiss Street and Main Street, on the left
when traveling east on Curtiss Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5133 Main Street, Downers Grove IL 60515, United States of America.
October 5, 2012
|2. Farmer's and Merchant's Bank Building|
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Main Street Cemetery (about 400 feet away, in a direct line); a different marker also named Main Street Cemetery (about 400 feet away); Masonic Temple (about 600 feet away); The Indian Boundary Line (approx. ¼ mile away); Ben Fuller House (approx. 4.7 miles away); Mammoth Spring (approx. 5.2 miles away); Site of St. Paul Lutheran School (approx. 9.6 miles away); Army Trail Road (approx. 9.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Downers Grove.
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2012. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 5, 2012. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |