Inscription. Located a short distance East of here, near the River, Baisden`s Bluff Academy was the main educational institution in McIntosh County in the early years of the 19th century. A Boarding School, operating the year round, its roll held the names of prominent families of this county and from the adjoining areas. "Mr. Linder" was Principal. General Francis Hopkins, Wm. A. Dunham, James Dunwoody, James Smith and Jacob Wood were Commissioners. In 1823 torrential rains washed the dormitory into the river, leaving a ravine which can still be seen. The school never recovered.
By Mike Stroud, September 2008
|1. Baisden's Bluff Academy Marker|
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 095-12.)
Location. 31° 30.587′ N, 81° 21.988′ W. Marker is in Crescent, Georgia, in McIntosh County. Marker is on Ridge Road (State Highway 99) near Old Donelly Road (County Route 52), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crescent GA 31304, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Old Belleville or Troup Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); Captain William McIntosh (approx. 2.6 miles away); Colonel John McIntosh (approx. 2.6 miles away); Mallow Plantation (approx. 2.6 miles away); Sapelo Island (approx. 3.8 miles away); Old Court House at Sapelo Bridge (approx. 3.9 miles away); John Houstoun McIntosh (approx. 4.4 miles away); Rice Hope (approx. 4.4 miles away).
By Mike Stroud, 2008
|2. Baisden's Bluff Academy Marker near Old Donelly Rd|
1. McIntosh County Academy
...the academy at Baisdens Bluff was established prior to 1815, for in 1825 it was recorded that, "the academy of this county has been established at Baisden's Bluff more than ten years, and during that period the best exertions of the commissioners have failed to keep it in operation more than half of that time." On 2 July 1820, all Academy records were lost in a fire at the store of their secretary, and that fall the commissioners were hard pressed to ascertain the balance due the Academy for sale and interest of land lots. Nevertheless in December certain alterations were planned for the Academy at Baisdens Bluff. In addition, the ambitious undertaking of establishing four branches of the Academy in various parts of the county for poor children was resolved by the Commissioners, with the Darien branch located at the Masonic Hall. These free schools were suspended in January 1822. At the end of January 1831, the Commissioners announced that two children attached to the Female Asylum (Presbyterian) in Darien could receive instruction at the Academy free of charge.
Under Matthew Lindon, principal, the Academy at Baisdens Bluff appears to have prospered during the period 1822-1823. The building, a two story structure, measured thirty by sixty feet. A large classroom on the first floor, with twelve foot ceilings, also served as a place of worship on Sunday. The second floor, with nine foot ceilings, had eleven "lodging rooms." A chimney with four fire places on the south side had been added in 1820-21, along with a school room for boys.
Disaster struck in July 1823, when heavy rains undermined the bluff on which the Academy was situated. Nearly one third of the lot was washed away and the building itself fell into a ravine. Matthew Lindon died as the result of exposure while trying to save the school. School was resumed in January 1824 and on September 14-15, coastal Georgians experienced a disastrous hurricane The "tabby" building at Baisdens Bluff, which had been used for a school was abandoned as unfit and unsafe.
Source: Living on the Georgia Tidewater (Echoes June 1999) McIntosh County Academy, http://www.loweraltamahahistoricalsociety.org)
— Submitted September 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,032 times since then. Last updated on October 14, 2012, by Ray King of Jacksonville, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |