Inscription. Fort Dickerson to the west and Fort Stanley to the east were the center two of four fortified heights held by the Federals south of the river during the siege of Knoxville, Nov. 17-Dec. 4, 1863. Maj. Gen. Jos. Wheeler C.S.A., made a vain effort to seize these hills with cavalry Nov. 15-16. He came via Sweetwater and Maryville.
By Laura Troy, November 23, 2007
|1. Forts Dickerson and Stanley Marker|
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1E 74.)
Location. 35° 56.962′ N, 83° 54.82′ W. Marker is in Knoxville, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker is on Chapman Hwy SW south of E Martin Mill Pike SE, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Knoxville TN 37920, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Dickerson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Dickerson 1863–64 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil War Knoxville (approx. 0.2 miles away); The 1863 Siege of Knoxville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Back Door to Knoxville (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Dickerson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Andrew Johnson Office Plaza (approx. 0.8 miles away); Blount Mansion (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Knoxville.
Also see . . .
Fort Dickerson Virtual Tour by Markers. A set markers that document Fort Dickerson and the Civil War in Knoxville, Tennessee. (Submitted on January 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
|2. Forts Dickerson and Stanley|
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,411 times since then. Last updated on January 10, 2013, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on November 28, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. 2. submitted on April 3, 2008, by Matt Gholson of Houston, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |