Inscription. Mississippi native James L. Autry (1859-1920) moved to Corsicana in 1876. There he studied law and held civic offices at the time of the first oil discoveries in Texas. He was chief counsel for the Texas Co. (later Texaco) and a pioneer in the new field of petroleum law. Autry commissioned Sanguinet and Staats to design this home, which was constructed in 1912. The neoclassical design features a double balustraded gallery and large fluted Doric columns. Also prominent are a port-cochere and fernery (sunroom), and a hipped Ludowici tile roof. The rear garage has upstairs servants quarters.
By Jim Evans, January 20, 2013
|1. James L. Autry House Marker|
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2010
Marker is the property of the State of Texas
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 29° 44.609′ N, 95° 22.961′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Courtlandt Place west of Bagby Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. This marker is located inside a gated community. Marker is in this post office area: Houston TX 77006, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Courtlandt Place (within shouting distance of this marker); League of United Latin American Citizens, Council 60 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Waldo Mansion (approx. ¼ mile away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Houston Fire Station No. 7 (approx. half a mile away); The Houston Light Guard (approx. 0.6 miles away); Temple Beth Israel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Twentieth Century Development of Freedman's Town (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Houston.
By Jim Evans, January 20, 2013
|2. James L. Autry House|
|Marker can be seen near the lower left|
Regarding James L. Autry House. Courtlandt Place is a small gated community comprised of a single one block long private street near Downtown Houston. It was originally created for and populated by Houston's elite. A total of 17 mansion-like homes line the two sides of the street. Virtually every home has a historical marker and eleven of the 17 are in the National Register of Historic Places.
I have only photographed and taken coordinates of this one home as representative of the rest on this historic street.
Also see . . .
1. An Article on the History of Courtlandt Place. (Submitted on January 23, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Courtlandt Place in The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on January 23, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. Another History of Courtlandt Place. (Submitted on January 23, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
4. Eleven of the 17 Homes on Courtlandt Place are in the National Register of Historic Places. (Submitted on January 23, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 23, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Last updated on January 25, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 23, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |