Inscription. Rockville began when Owen's Ordinary, an inn and tavern, was established in this area around 1750. It functioned as the seat of lower Frederick County and in 1776 became the seat of Montgomery County when it was created. In 1784, William P. Williams subdivided 45 acres of his land into building lots and called it "Williamsburgh." Fifteen years later, structures had been built on 38 lots. The Williamsburgh plat had legal problems and in November 1801, the Maryland General Assembly directed that the lots be resurveyed and a town erected "to be called Rockville." The town plan was recorded in 1803.
By Tom Fuchs, January 7, 2006
|1. 1803 Plan of Rockville and Boundary Stone Marker|
This boundary stone, with the letters "B.R." incised, marks the "Beginning of Rockville" shown in the lower right of the plan at the southeast corner of Block I, lot 1. The plan has a grid pattern of six streets, 19 blocks, and a total of 85 lots. The Court House lot fits into the notch on the right border in Block VIII.
For many years, the boundary stone was neglected, half-buried in the weeds of an undeveloped lot. It resurfaced when the Rockville Library was built in the 1950s. It was placed near its original location in 1961 where it serves as an everyday reminder of the modest beginnings of Rockville.
Erected 2001 by City of Rockville, Maryland and The Rockville Historic District Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850 marker series.
Location. 39° 4.938′ N, 77° 9.094′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Vinson Street and Maryland Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Vinson Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockville MD 20850, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boundary Stone (here, next to this marker but has been reported missing); “Out of Robb’s Window, Montgomery County Courthouse.” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Richard Montgomery (about 300 feet away); Montgomery County Jail (about 400 feet away); Christ Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Rockville.
More about this marker. One of the "Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850" series of markers.
Also see . . . Historic Rockville Walking Tour. (Submitted on January 11, 2006.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 11, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,064 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on January 11, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |