Inscription. After the outbreak of the Civil War, escaped slaves sought refuge at Union Camps and thousands crowded into the Federal City. In response to the unhealthy conditions in Washington, the government selected a site on Arlington Heights in May, 1863, to provide freed slaves with housing and opportunities for work, training and education. Freedmanís Village, which was located in Arlington National Cemetery, was soon built and formally dedicated on December 4, 1863. There were over 50 two-story duplex houses, two churches, a school, a meeting hall, hospital and home for the aged and infirm. In time the population exceeded 1,000. Though intended to be temporary, the village lasted into the 1890s, when it was closed and its residents dispersed.
February 9, 2008
|1. Freedman's Village Marker|
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.
Location. 38° 52.124′ N, 77° 4.26′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Oak Street and Southgate Road, on the right when traveling north on South Oak Street. Click for map. Marker is located at Foxcroft Heights Park. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22209, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Freedmanís Village (here, next to this marker); Site of Arlington Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Edwin Peary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Matthew Alexander Henson (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Coast Guard Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Peacemaker (approx. ľ mile away); 96th Infantry Division, U.S. Army (approx. 0.3 miles away); Indian Warriors and Their Brothers (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
February 9, 2008
|2. Freedman's Village Marker|
Also see . . .
1. African American History in Arlington, Virginia. PDF Brochure includes information about Freedman's Village. (Submitted on March 20, 2008.)
2. Lost Village of Slaves Found. Blog post from the Civil War Librarian. (Submitted on April 27, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on March 20, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,067 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 20, 2008. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |