HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Babylon in Suffolk County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Babylon Town Hall
Old Town Hall - Town of Babylon History Museum
 
Babylon Town Hall Marker (east-facing side) Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 5, 2010
1. Babylon Town Hall Marker (east-facing side)
 
Inscription.

Built 1917-1918
Seat of town government
Until 1957. Served as town
and district court house
from 1918 to 1979

 
Erected 1986 by Town of Babylon.
 
Location. 40° 41.784′ N, 73° 19.448′ W. Marker is in Babylon, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and Cottage Row, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47 West Main Street, Babylon NY 11702, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Babylon Railroad Company Trolley Route (approx. 0.3 miles away); Conklin House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sagtikos Manor (approx. 2.6 miles away); Flying Field (approx. 6.6 miles away); Claus Kristian Clausen, U.S.N. (approx. 6.8 miles away); Old Grace Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); Historic Complex (approx. 7.4 miles away); Central Long Island (approx. 7.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Babylon.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a pole, located just to the left of the steps leading up to the building entrance.
 
Regarding Babylon Town Hall.
 
Babylon Town Hall Marker (west-facing side) Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 5, 2010
2. Babylon Town Hall Marker (west-facing side)
 
The marker incorrectly states that the building served as the Town Hall until 1957; it was actually used until 1958. The building continued to be used for municipal purposes, first as the Dept. of Motor Vehicles and later as a District Court House. The building was sold to a private owner in 1979, and bought back by the Town of Babylon in 2004. Since June 2010, the building has housed the Town of Babylon History Museum.
 
Babylon Town Hall - view from the south Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 5, 2010
3. Babylon Town Hall - view from the south
 
 
Plaque honoring David Sturges Sprague Sammis Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 5, 2010
4. Plaque honoring David Sturges Sprague Sammis
Mounted to the left of the entrance, this plaque honors David Sturges Sprague Sammis: To honor the memory of David Sturges Sprague Sammis, 1818-1895, loyal citizen and public benefactor. His children and grandchildren in 1917 presented the site on which this building stands to the town of Babylon.
 
 
National Register of Historic Places Plaque Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 5, 2010
5. National Register of Historic Places Plaque
This plaque, mounted to the right of the front door, indicates that the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 5, 2005.
 
 
Babylon Town Hall (1917) - View from southeast Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 5, 2010
6. Babylon Town Hall (1917) - View from southeast
From the NRHP statement of significance: Dedicated in 1918, the Babylon Town Hall served the local community as a readily accessible place to house town offices until the mid-twentieth century when the growing town constructed a larger and more centrally located building. In the late 1940's, the Babylon Town Hall also housed the district courts and town jail. After the town offices were moved in 1957 the building continued to accommodate the district courts until 1992 when the historic town hall was sold to a private owner. The Town of Babylon bought back the property in 2004 with the intention of preserving the building and restoring some of its municipal role....The building is still at its original location...and appears much as it did in 1918....
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 621 times since then. Last updated on April 23, 2013, by Mary Cascone of Babylon, New York. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 14, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 207 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.